Downloads & Links resources
- 2016 White Paper on Safety and Security - policy & annexures – (Policy/Legislation)
- 2016 White Paper on Safety and Security - policy document – (Policy/Legislation)
- 2016 White Paper on Safety and Security - Annexure A - Crime and Violence Prevention Approaches – (Policy/Legislation)
- 2016 White Paper on Safety and Security - Annexure B - Demographic Statistics on South Africa – (Policy/Legislation)
- 2016 White Paper on Safety and Security - Annexure C - Analysis of Risk Groups and Factors in South Africa – (Policy/Legislation)
- 2016 White Paper on Safety and Security - Annexure D - Legislative and Policy Framework Impacting on the White Paper on Safety and Security – (Policy/Legislation)
- 2016 White Paper on Safety and Security - Annexure E - Legal Framework for the Role of National, Provincial and Local Government – (Policy/Legislation)
By 2030, South Africa will be a society in which all people:
- Live in safe environments;
- Play a role in creating and maintaining the safe environment;
- Feel and are safe from crime and violence and conditions that contribute to it;
- Have equal access and recourse to high quality services when affected by crime and violence
The vision of the White Paper is aligned to the National Development Plan (NDP) and rights and values enshrined in the Constitution of the Republic of South Africa (Act 108 of 1996).
The purpose of developing a new policy on safety, crime and violence prevention is to promote an integrated and holistic approach to safety and security, and to provide substance and direction to achieving the NDP’s objectives of ‘Building Safer Communities’. The White Paper will facilitate, where necessary, new legislative and institutional arrangements necessary for the operationalisation of its objectives, including:
- Clarification of the roles and responsibilities of individual government departments and different spheres of government;
- Mechanisms for co-operation between government departments and different spheres of the state for integrated planning and service delivery;
- Monitoring and evaluation systems;
- Resources; and
The White Paper will provide direction to government departments in the development and alignment of their respective policies, strategies and operational plans to achieving safer communities. In addition, the White Paper will provide governance and oversight tools against which departments can be measured and held accountable.
The objectives of the White Paper on Safety and Security are to:
- Provide an overarching policy for safety, crime and violence prevention that will be articulated in a clear legislative and administrative framework to facilitate synergy and alignment of policies on safety and security; and
- Facilitate the creation of a sustainable, well-resourced implementation and oversight mechanism, which will co-ordinate, monitor, evaluate and report on implementation of crime prevention priorities across all sectors.