South African Cities Network – Organisation
National (all SA)
Joburg Metro building
158 Civic Boulevard
The South African Cities Network is an established network of South African cities and partners that encourages the exchange of information, experience and best practices on urban development and city management.
The network is both a source of information for leadership of South Africa’s largest cities and a catalyst for debate.
It is an initiative of the Minister for Provincial and Local Government and nine of the country’s largest municipalities, in partnership with the South African Local Government Association (SALGA).
Our goals are:
- To promote good governance and management of South African cities;
- To analyse strategic challenges facing South African cities, particularly in the context of global economic integration and national development;
- To collect, collate, analyse, assess, disseminate and apply the experience of large city government in a South African context; and
- To promote a shared-learning partnership between different spheres of government to support the governance of South African cities.
Our activities are designed:
- To update leaders on current and emerging changes and trends in urban policy across the world and in South Africa;
- To promote innovation and strategic thinking between cities and other spheres of government;
- To foster cooperation and exchange of best practice;
- To mobilise the capacity of cities to support local government and national development; and
- To strengthen linkages between cities, towns and rural areas.
Related profile profiles
2020/1 The State of Urban Safety in South Africa Report | Report/Study (01 Jun 2022) Good Hood Stories: Safety and Peace through Urban Upgrading | Video (08 Jul 2021) The State of Crime and Safety in SA Cities Report 2020 | (01 Sep 2020) 2018/2019 The State of Urban Safety in South Africa report | Report/Study (11 Apr 2019) Infrastructure Dialogue Report: Intermediate Cities as Destinations for Investment | Report/Study (17 May 2018)
Long-Range Planning in South African Cities: A Practice-Based Guide to City Development Strategies | Report/Study (01 Apr 2018) Urban Land Dialogue Series 2018 - Background Information | Report/Study (30 Mar 2018) Infrastructure Dialogue Report: City Futures | Report/Study (15 Feb 2018) Localising the New Urban Agenda: South Africa Discussion Document | Article (01 Feb 2018) A Transit-Oriented Development Lens | Journal/Magazine (22 Nov 2017)
The State of the Expanded Public Works Programme in South African Cities 2016/17 | Report/Study (01 Nov 2017) The State of Urban Safety in South Africa Report 2017 | Report/Study (23 Aug 2017) Local government safety functions and the question of unfunded mandates | Policy/Research brief (29 Nov 2016) High time for policy rehabilitation: Local government and substance use problems | Policy/Research brief (19 Aug 2016) More bang for the buck? Effective budgetary investments for crime prevention | Policy/Research brief (27 Jul 2016)
State of Urban Safety in South Africa Report 2016 | Report/Study (29 Jun 2016) State of South African Cities Report 2016 | Report/Study (22 Jun 2016) How to make cities safer - Report on South-South learning & urban safety study tour | Report/Study (01 Aug 2014) Video: Urban safety study tour - South-South learning | Video (16 Jul 2014) Urban Safety Brief No.1'2020: Public Space and Urban Safety | Factsheet (01 Jan 1970)