On Sunday 1 October, a 5km section of Cape Town’s M4 (aka Main Road) will be reserved for people, not cars, during the first ever ‘Open Streets Main Road’. Closed to motorised vehicles, it will become an open space for pedestrians, cyclists, skateboarders, wheelchair users and other non-motorised transport users to move in safety. Open Streets is free and everyone is encouraged to participate and help plan the day.
The dream is to build a network of temporary car-free streets that connect Cape Town on a regular basis. Testing a longer stretch (5km) along Main Road will hopefully be a stride towards that dream. Open Streets Days have taken place in Langa, Observatory, Mitchells Plain, Bellville and the CBD. Until now, however, the route has been no longer than 2km.
WHAT IS OPEN STREETS?
Open Streets Main Road builds on a local programme inspired by Colombia’s Ciclovía. The concept is to close down a street temporarily so that it becomes car-free. It’s a chance for people to reclaim streets as public space, for walking, cycling, skating, playing, exploring and general socialising. Open Streets suspends reality and allows us to imagine a new “normal” for our streets. Watch a short video here: https://youtu.be/-IL2iv4Kkws
WHO ORGANISES IT?
Open Streets Cape Town, a citizen-driven NPO, in partnership with the City of Cape Town’s Transport and Urban Development Authority, with the financial support of the WWF Nedbank Green Trust, Millennium Trust and Woolworths, as well as the help of many volunteers, residents and friends!
To create shared spaces that can help bridge social and spatial divides in Cape Town, and encourage people to think differently about how we move around the city.
Sunday 1 October during Transport Month 2017. Times and other details to be confirmed in consultation with local residents and business owners.
Main Road between Observatory & Cape Town CBD. This includes sections of Darling Street, Sir Lowry Road and Victoria Road.
HOW CAN PEOPLE GET INVOLVED?
- Give input at a Q&A session on Thursday 17 August at 18h00 at Woodstock Town Hall
- Share feedback on the plans (ideas, concerns etc.): https://goo.gl/forms/qR5CFsgHPgCESA1z1
- Join the volunteer team: http://openstreets.org.za/contact/volunteer_form
- Organise an activity in one of the hubs on the day: https://goo.gl/forms/fvHa0ibhFcLtkwDg1
- Apply to be a food vendor (must be registered with City): https://goo.gl/forms/QEVcNFfaYNTkmDgd2
- Help spread the word and invite your networks to get involved. Start by joining the Facebook event and inviting all your friends too: https://www.facebook.com/events/1481947718537526
021 286 0823 or firstname.lastname@example.org